Monday, September 8, 2014

September 8, 2014 Monday Full harvest moon

Went up north for the weekend.  It was wonderful!  Get away when you can.


Today I started the week with Boot Camp.  I figured I would get my heart started , and I did.


Mark Chapter 4 - This is talking about the Sower.  It was meant to tell the disciples a story about sharing the Gospel, without non believers understanding it.  I'm not sure why He didn't want everyone to understand the story, but I understood that some people take the seed of the Gospel and grow it in people that want to hear it.  You might want to look into why it is so important to some of us and not others.


On this day:
1981 - Dick, a guy that I worked with at the picture frame company, broke his knee and was off 6 to 8 weeks.  Most of the people that worked there were long timers and Dick was one of them.  He was what we called the joiner.  The mitred sections of frames were cut to size and layed out for Dick and he would drill the nail holes and glue and nail the section together.  I don't remember who filled in for him, I do remember going to his house to see him and his wife Rose while he was off.  We probably worked together for 20 years, but I can't tell you an awful lot about him.  I have become a more caring and nurturing person, but the way I was back then, I'm surprised I did visit him.  I wish that we considered how important each of these people are, if not to each other, then their families.  Too soon old too late smart.  For sure I never shared any seeds of faith with him.  Too bad.
1892 - An early version of "The Pledge of Allegiance" appeared in "The Youth's Companion." Do they say it in school everyday now or not? 


Parenting - Spent a great weekend with my daughter at a really dear friends place up north.  I couldn't have been happier.  The bonus was my mother also got to spend the weekend with her favorite child, my brother.  Win/win!


Book Club - shut down in favor of writing a book.


Damascus Syria -  Lets get caught up on more of this interesting history:
The Shia Fatimids gained control in 970, inflaming hostilities between them and the Sunni Arabs of the city who frequently revolted. A Turk, Alptakin drove out the Fatimids five years later, and through diplomacy, prevented the Byzantines from attempting to annex the city. However, by 977, the Fatimids under Caliph al-Aziz, wrested back control of the city and tamed Sunni dissidents. The Arab geographer, al-Muqaddasi, visited Damascus in 985, remarking that the architecture and infrastructure of the city was "magnificent", but living conditions were awful. Under al-Aziz, the city saw a brief period of stability that ended with the reign of al-Hakim (996–1021). In 998, Hundreds of Damascene leaders were rounded up and executed by him for incitement. Three years after al-Hakim's mysterious disappearance, the Arab tribes of southern Syria formed an alliance to stage a massive rebellion against the Fatimids, but they were crushed by the Fatimid Turkish governor of Syria and Palestine, Anushtakin al-Duzbari, in 1029. This victory gave the latter mastery over Syria, displeasing his Fatimid overlords, but gaining the admiration of Damascus' citizens. He was exiled by Fatimid authorities to Aleppo where he died in 1041.[32] From that date to 1063, there are no known records of the city's history. By then, Damascus lacked a city administration, had an enfeebled economy, and a greatly reduced population.[33]


Enjoy the day!  Make it memorable! 



No comments:

Post a Comment