Sunday, September 22, 2019

September 22, 2019 Sunday#Christians#cybergroup#USPO#NativeAmericans

Get Faith
Philippians chapter 1  "I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now."  When I think of all the people that have grown my faith just be being who they are I am over whelmed with joy.  Every church I have belonged to has shown me Christians at their very best, kind loving and sharing God's word by being in the Word.  Now as I start another church, I have already seen those same new people shining on the love of Christ and renewing my faith.  God is good!

On this day
2009  I mentioned that I contacted my "cyber group", the travelers group is my current word for these friends.  It has been over 10 years that we started enjoying a night a month bringing food from different countries.  I still study the locations but everyone is basically there for the socializing.  It is a great group of people and because of the busy summer I have slacked off on keeping in going but I will try to fire it up again.  Great people!!   As you can see I am in Alaska this month.

1789 - The U.S. Congress authorized the office of Postmaster General.

Alaska

Pre-colonization

A modern Alutiiq dancer in traditional festival garb
Numerous indigenous peoples occupied Alaska for thousands of years before the arrival of European peoples to the area. Linguistic and DNA studies done here have provided evidence for the settlement of North America by way of the Bering land bridge.[31] At the Upward Sun River site in the Tanana River Valley in Alaska, remains of a six-week-old infant were found. The baby's DNA showed that she belonged to a population that was genetically separate from other native groups present elsewhere in the New World at the end of the Pleistocene. Ben Potter, the University of Alaska Fairbanks archaeologist who unearthed the remains at the Upward River Sun site in 2013, named this new group Ancient Beringians.[32] The Tlingit people developed a society with a matrilineal kinship system of property inheritance and descent in what is today Southeast Alaska, along with parts of British Columbia and the Yukon. Also in Southeast were the Haida, now well known for their unique arts. The Tsimshian people came to Alaska from British Columbia in 1887, when President Grover Cleveland, and later the U.S. Congress, granted them permission to settle on Annette Island and found the town of Metlakatla. All three of these peoples, as well as other indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast, experienced smallpox outbreaks from the late 18th through the mid-19th century, with the most devastating epidemics occurring in the 1830s and 1860s, resulting in high fatalities and social disruption.[33]
The Aleutian Islands are still home to the Aleut people's seafaring society, although they were the first Native Alaskans to be exploited by Russians. Western and Southwestern Alaska are home to the Yup'ik, while their cousins the Alutiiq ~ Sugpiaq lived in what is now Southcentral Alaska. The Gwich'in people of the northern Interior region are Athabaskan and primarily known today for their dependence on the caribou within the much-contested Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The North Slope and Little Diomede Island are occupied by the widespread Inupiat people.
I can't help but wonder if they would have survived better where they were?  Smallpox?

Enjoy the day!  Make it memorable!  Happy Birthday Heather and Kristin C

No comments:

Post a Comment