Sunday, October 21, 2018

October 21, 2018 Sunday#Join in!#Healthy outdoors#Civil War & the fire.

Get Faith
1 Timothy 1:12-17  "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service."  This is so true in my case.  That after the life I had lived previously he put me in charge in the church in many positions.  He entrusted the children to me in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, I was the Outreach Director, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the Director of Evangelism and so much more.  I am not bragging - I could not have done this without the help of many others and the knowledge that I was working for the Lord and He welcomed me.  The doors of church are open you are invited to participate, no matter where you are coming from.  You are warmly welcomed by Christ himself.

On this day
1985  I was still nursing Nicole - so I spent most of my time with her.  I had 5 trees - all Ash trees and that meant I had a lot of leaves.  I would wrap Nicole up in the stroller and rake leaves.  I'm sure it wasn't as cold as today.  We spent a lot of time outdoors, maybe that is why she still spends most of her time out there.

1805 - The Battle of Trafalgar occurred off the coast of Spain. The British defeated the French and Spanish fleet. Can't we just get along?

Xenia Illinois

Civil War and after[edit]

Embarkation of Union troops from Cairo on January 10, 1862
During the American Civil War, Illinois ranked fourth in men who served (more than 250,000) in the Union Army, a figure surpassed by only New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Beginning with President Abraham Lincoln's first call for troops and continuing throughout the war, Illinois mustered 150 infantry regiments, which were numbered from the 7th to the 156th regiments. Seventeen cavalry regiments were also gathered, as well as two light artillery regiments.[40] The town of Cairo, at the southern tip of the state at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, served as a strategically important supply base and training center for the Union army. For several months, both General Grant and Admiral Foote had headquarters in Cairo.
During the Civil War, and more so afterwards, Chicago's population skyrocketed, which increased its prominence. The Pullman Strike and Haymarket Riot, in particular, greatly influenced the development of the American labor movement. From Sunday, October 8, 1871, until Tuesday, October 10, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire burned in downtown Chicago, destroying four square miles (10 km2).[41Wow never realized that they would ship troops south on the rivers.  I'm learning something!

Enjoy the day!  Make it memorable!  Happy Birthday to Linda Z and Millie 99!!

No comments:

Post a Comment