Sunday, August 20, 2017

August 20, 2017 Sunday #Paths#PoisonIvy#Bering#Kamehameha

Get Faith
Psalm 119:32  "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."  We all have paths that we run, some good and some bad.  I have picked some bad paths in my life but I believe the Lord has put signs up for me to find me way back to the right path.  We can follow the "popular " path, or the "fast" path and sometimes paths that lead us into destructive habits, but the path that God puts us on gives us freedom from anxiety that this world gives us.  When things in this life lead us to thinking that this is the important thing we often forget that this is temporary and the best is yet to come... Set my heart free God.

On this day
2014  It says I worked out in the yard.  I could look on a million days and find the same post.  What about you?  It's summer, it's what we do - work in the yard, pull weeds, trim bushes etc.  It is what I did last week and this week.  In 40 years in this house or anywhere else in my life I have never got it.  Poison Ivy.  Little bumps came up on my right hand palm, then started to itch and ache.  I went to the clinic yesterday. Hey!  I've never had it and didn't know.  Now I do.  My mother was extremely contagious and I figured I was immune. Now I know.  Three leaves on a vine "leaves of three let it be".  Watch your path!

1741 - Danish navigator Vitus Jonas Bering discovered Alaskahmmm Bering Straits?  I wonder if the climate is right for poison ivy in Alaska?

Hawaii

House of Kamehameha


Kamehameha I conquered the Hawaiian Islands and established a unified monarchy across the archipelago.
During the 1780s and 1790s, chiefs often fought for power. After a series of battles that ended in 1795, all inhabited islands were subjugated under a single ruler, who became known as King Kamehameha the Great. He established the House of Kamehameha, a dynasty that ruled the kingdom until 1872.[65]
After Kamehameha II inherited the throne in 1819, American Protestant missionaries to Hawaii converted many Hawaiians to Christianity. They used their influence to end many traditional practices of the people.[66][67] During the reign of King Kamehameha III, Hawai'i turned into a Christian monarchy with the signing of the 1840 Constitution.[68] Hiram Bingham I, a prominent Protestant missionary, was a trusted adviser to the monarchy during this period. Other missionaries and their descendants became active in commercial and political affairs, leading to conflicts between the monarchy and its restive American subjects.[69] Catholic and Mormon missionaries were also active in the kingdom, but they converted a minority of the Native Hawaiian population.[70][71][72]Missionaries from each major group administered to the leper colony at Kalaupapa on Molokaʻi, which was established in 1866 and operated well into the 20th century. The best known were Father Damien and Mother Marianne Cope, both of whom were canonized in the early 21st century as Roman Catholic saints.
The death of the bachelor King Kamehameha V—who did not name an heir—resulted in the popular election of Lunalilo over Kalākaua. Lunalilo died the next year, also without naming an heir. In 1874, the election was contested within the legislature between Kalākaua and Emma, Queen Consort of Kamehameha IV. After riots broke out, the United States and Britain landed troops on the islands to restore order. King Kalākaua was chosen as monarch by the Legislative Assembly by a vote of 39 to 6 on February 12, 1874.[73]   I somehow don't feel like that picture shows him in his normal apparel.

Enjoy the day!  Make it memorable!  Happy Birthday to Rebekah!

No comments:

Post a Comment