Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March 4, 2015 Wednesday

Had to go do a breathing test this morning, not that it was a lot of work.  But I am saved from lethargy by ballroom dancing tonight with Don.


Ephesians chapter 4:25  Is about being honest with one another. The study writer mentions the common "How are you" - "I'm fine"  whether you are or aren't.  A simple avoidance of truth so that you don't appear to be a complainer.  But we do keep big truths to ourselves - like the Gospel, why?


On this day:
1995 - Nicole had an acting class on Saturday mornings.  It was called Acting Up.  She had a good time with it, not unlike her - but did not pursue a class in acting.  She could have been a comedian though.  Those of you that know her, am I right?


1634 - Samuel Cole opened the first tavern in Boston, Can I get a big thanks to Sam!?


Parenting - I can't even begin to imagine how the parents of the ISIS murderer Jihad John feel.  The father tried to say that it wasn't his son, and I can imagine that line of thinking.  When you have raised a child from birth, through the infant, toddler, school, teenage years, how can you think of a sick individual like that as your son?  Not the son you knew.  I am sure the family is also feeling very venerable right now, wondering whether people will take revenge on them for the things the son has done.  A very real threat I imagine.


Come Get These Memories - of the Sixties  (excerpt)


      I thought that grandma sent all the kids cards with hankies but later discovered that that wasn’t true.  As an adult I learned not to say to my 20 other cousins that I received cards, gifts and letters from her because, I was the only one I think.  And I have treasured them.  I thought I was Grandma’s favorite, maybe because they had lived with us so much while I was young.  My mother always told everyone that Adam was her favorite, but I knew better.
Juneau Alaska - history:

History[edit]

Chief Anotklosh of the Taku tribe, circa 1913.

Mining years[edit]

Long before European settlement in the Americas, the Gastineau Channel was a favorite fishing ground for local Tlingit Indians, known then as the Auke and Taku tribes, who had inhabited the surrounding area for thousands of years. The native cultures are rich with artistic traditions including carving, weaving, orating, singing and dancing, and Juneau has become a major social center for the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian of Southeast Alaska.
The first European to see the Juneau area was Joseph Whidbey, master of the Discovery during George Vancouver’s 1791-95 expedition, who explored the region in July–August 1794. Early in August he saw the length of Gastineau Channel from the south, noting a small island in mid-channel. He later saw the length of the channel again, this time from the west. He said it was unnavigable, being filled with ice.[4]
In 1880, Sitka mining engineer George Pilz offered a reward to any local chief who could lead him to gold-bearing ore. Chief Kowee (Tlingit Kaawa.ée) arrived with some ore and several prospectors were sent to investigate. On their first trip, to Gold Creek, they found deposits of little interest. However, at Chief Kowee's urging Pilz sent Joe Juneau and Richard Harris back to the Gastineau Channel, directing them to Snow Slide Gulch (the head of Gold Creek) where they found nuggets "as large as peas and beans", in Harris' words.

Enjoy the day!  Make it Memorable! 








No comments:

Post a Comment